Inspired by the incredible power of exercise to improve health, I began my career by obtaining a masters in clinical exercise physiology. Exercise is one of the most powerful, yet underutilized and misused, treatments available for most of our common health issues. Over the years, I have worked as part of health care teams, prescribing exercise for people with obesity, disabilities, heart disease, diabetes, depression, arthritis, and many other health concerns. I have seen how access to this treatment is challenged by symptoms such as pain and fatigue, logistics like lack of equipment or not knowing what to do, and emotions such as fear or embarrassment. I have built a toolbox for overcoming these challenges and helping clients improve health and quality of life through movement.
After personally experiencing the power of combining mindfulness and movement, sixteen years ago I added yoga and meditation to my professional training. The explosion of mind/body research has shown that our best efforts to live a healthy lifestyle can be undermined by stress. These studies affirm what my clients and yoga students experience—that mindfulness activates well-being by enhancing every aspect of health and wellness.
I eventually realized, though, that all the great news about how movement and mindfulness improves health was not enough to inspire sustainable motivation. No matter how much I shared the great benefits based on solid research, motivation was still a struggle for many with whom I worked. I decided to dive into the science of motivation and formally gain skills based on this science. Now, as a certified health and wellness coach, I’ve added tools to inspire lasting healthy changes.
My mission is to use the alchemy of these three areas to help clients discover the freedom to enjoy life through each step on the way to health.
- Masters in Clinical Exercise Physiology, Adelphi University
- Bachelors in Physical Education/ Adult Fitness, SUNY Cortland
- Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist, American College of Sports Medicine
- Certified Health and Wellness Coach, Wellcoaches
- Certified Yoga Teacher, Aura Wellness
- Thirteen years ago, started the exercise program for the UMass Memorial Weight Center in Worcester Massachusetts and continue there today. I work in a multi-disciplinary team and partner with patients to create a realistic exercise plan that supports long-term success with weight loss, with or without weight-loss surgery.
- In 2002, assisted in creating the Boston University wellness program.
- Worked for six years as senior clinical exercise physiologist at the Cardiac Rehabilitation and Exercise Testing Department at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, MA.
Click here to see more on my LinkedIn page.